AHCA/NCAL Elects New Board of Governors, Directors at Annual Convention in Phoenix
Phoenix, AZ – Today, the American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living (AHCA/NCAL) elected AHCA’s Board of Governors and NCAL’s Board of Directors for the 2013-2014 term. Among the new officers, both boards selected new chairs for the coming year: Leonard Russ of New York for the AHCA Board, and Patricia Giorgio of Iowa for the NCAL Board.
“AHCA and NCAL are proud to welcome experienced leaders to our distinguished Board of Governors, with Len and Pat at the helm,” said AHCA/NCAL President and CEO Mark Parkinson. “Together, we will address our unique challenges and find concrete solutions that will benefit the long term and post-acute care community as a whole.”
Russ began serving on AHCA’s Board of Governors seven years ago and most recently served as Vice Chair. Russ also serves as Vice Chair of the Foundation for Quality Care and is the principal partner of Bayberry Health Care in New Rochelle, New York. Additionally, he is a co-owner of Aaron Manor Nursing and Rehabilitation in Rochester, New York.
The remaining members of AHCA’s newly-elected board include:
• Lane Bowen of Kentucky, Vice-Chair;
• Robin Hillier of Ohio, Secretary/Treasurer;
• Neil Pruitt, Jr. of Georgia, Immediate Past Chair;
• Gary Kelso of Utah, Not-For-Profit Representative;
• Tom Coble of Oklahoma, Independent Owner Representative;
• Tim Lukenda of Wisconsin, Multifacility Representative;
• Glenn Van Ekeren of Nebraska, Regional Multifacility Representative;
• Paul Liistro of Connecticut, At-Large Representative;
• Deborah Meade of Georgia, At-Large Representative;
• David Norsworthy of Arkansas, At-Large Representative;
• Frank Romano of Massachusetts, At-Large Representative; and
• Michael Wylie of Pennsylvania, At-Large Representative.
The three ex-officio members on the AHCA Board of Governors include:
• John Poirier of New Hampshire, Affiliated State Health Care Association Executives (ASHCAE) Representative;
• Shawn Scott, Associate Business Member (ABM) Representative; and
• Patricia Giorgio of Iowa, NCAL Representative.
NCAL also elected its Board of Directors today, including its new Chair - Patricia Giorgio, President and CEO of Evergreen Estates, an organization consisting of three assisted living communities located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Giorgio began serving on the NCAL Board in 2005. She previously served as Chair of NCAL’s Finance and Policy Committee. As Chair of NCAL’s Quality Committee, she oversaw the development of the landmark Performance Measures program launched in 2010. In 2009, she was the recipient of the AHCA/NCAL Joe Warner Award for outstanding advocacy work. She has also served on AHCA’s Disaster Planning Committee, the AHCA Quality Committee and is a graduate of the AHCA/NCAL Future Leaders Program.
The remaining members of NCAL’s Board of Directors include:
• Chris Mason of Oregon, Vice-Chair
• Ashley Blankenship of Arkansas, Secretary-Treasurer
• Mike Shepard of Arkansas, Immediate Past Chair
• Helen Crunk of Nebraska, At-Large Representative
• Denise German of Kansas, At-Large Representative
• Gerald Hamilton of New Mexico, At-Large Representative
• Marcia Hamilton-Cotter of Minnesota, At-Large Representative
• Steven Heaney of New Jersey, At-Large Representative
• Michele DeClemente-Hughes of New Jersey, At-Large Representative
• Jeanne Jaeckels of Minnesota, At-Large Representative
• Carmy Jerome of Colorado, At-Large Representative
• Mark Maxfield of Idaho, At-Large Representative
• Joe Perkin of Kansas, At-Large Representative
• Laurie Shepard of Michigan, At-Large Representative
• Dee Thieme of Wisconsin, At-Large Representative
• Kristin West of Ohio, At-Large Representative
• Rod Wolfe of Tennessee, At-Large Representative
• Lane Bowen of Kentucky, AHCA Vice-Chair;
• Dick Herrick of New York, ASHCAE Vice President
• Cindy Luxem of Kansas, ASHCAE Representative
• Angie Szumlinski, ABM Representative
The one ex-officio member on the NCAL Board of Directors is Leonard Russ, AHCA Chair.
“NCAL is privileged to have a Board of Directors dedicated to promoting principled, driven care and services. Through the development of innovative education programming, services, and advocacy, we can advance high-quality person-centered care,” said David Kyllo, NCAL’s executive director.
Members of the AHCA Board of Governors are elected annually by the association’s governing body, the Council of States. The NCAL Board of Directors is elected by current members of the NCAL Board and by NCAL State Leaders or the NCAL State Leader’s proxy. Both are elected annually at Convention.
The American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living (AHCA/NCAL) represent more than 11,000 non-profit and proprietary skilled nursing centers, assisted living communities, sub-acute centers and homes for individuals with intellectual and development disabilities. By delivering solutions for quality care, AHCA/NCAL aims to improve the lives of the millions of frail, elderly and individuals with disabilities who receive long term or post-acute care in our member facilities each day. For more information, please visit www.ahca.org or www.ncal.org.