Diagnostic coding plays several important roles in every healthcare setting, including skilled nursing care centers. SNFs assign ICD-9 codes to capture a resident's clinical conditions. ICD-9 codes facilitate the collection and organization of healthcare statistics on the incidence of diseases. Diagnostic coding is used to:
- Collect diagnostic and statistical data about persons treated by healthcare providers;
- Support clinical decision making;
- Support reimbursement for services provided;
- Comply with federal standards for reporting diagnostic data; and
- Provide data to support clinical research and quality improvement activities.